Director of the Auschwitz Museum in the Council for Museums
| Print |
Contributed by ps
Monday, 16 April 2012
Director of the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum, dr Piotr M.A. Cywiński, was appointed by the Minister of Culture and National Heritage, Bogdan Zdrojewski, to the Council for Museums at the Ministry of Culture. In April 16th nominations were officially presented by the Deputy Minister, Małgorzata Omilanowska.
Piotr Cywinski will be the sole representative in the Council for Museums dealing with the history of the twentieth century, particularly during the times of World War II, as well as the sole representative of Polish museums of martyrdom. The director of the Auschwitz Memorial Site was already member of the Council during its previous term of office.
The most important tasks of the Council are giving opinions on issues related primarily to the activities of Polish museum of national or international significance, as well as issuing opinions on the draft budget for the Ministry of Culture within the area of Polish museum, draft normative acts on museums, as well as applications for grants for the activities of museums.
The Council for Museums is made up of 21 curators (10 elected by the Minister of Culture and the Arts and 11 elected at the congress of registered museums). The fifth term of the Council runs from 2012 to 2015. The members of the Council are:
• Adam Bartosz - Director of the District Museum in Tarnów
• dr Wojciech Brzeziński - Director of the State Archaeological Museum in Warsaw
• dr Piotr Cywiński - Director of the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum in Oświęcim
• Jarosław Gałęza - Director of the Open-Air Museum of Rural Architecture in Opole
• Paweł Jaskanis - Director of the Palace Museum in Wilanów
• Lech Karwowski - Director of the National Museum in Szczecin
• dr inż. Jerzy Litwin - Director of the Polish Maritime Museum in Gdańsk
• dr Maciej Łagiewski - Director of the City Museum of Wrocław
• Mariusz Mierzwiński - Director of the Castle Museum in Malbork
• Alice Mironiuk-Nikolskaya - Main museum cataloguer at the State Ethnographic Museum in Warsaw
• Michael Niezabitowski - Director of the Historical Museum of the City of Kraków
• Witold Omieczyński - Director of the District Museum in Leszno;
• prof. dr hab. Jan Ostrowski - Director of the Wawel Royal Castle - National Art Collection
• Katarzyna Rokosz - Head of Education at the State Museum in Warsaw;
• dr Marek Rubnikowicz - Director of the District Museum in Toruń;
• Jadwiga Semków - Head of Documentation at the Nicolaus Copernicus Museum in Frombork;
• Jarosław Suchan - Director of the Museum of Art in Łódź;
• prof. dr hab. Wojciech Suchocki - Director of the National Museum in Poznań;
• Wit Karol Wojtowicz - Director of the Castle Museum in Łańcut;
• dr Michał Woźniak - Director of the District Museum District of Leon Wyczółkowski in Bydgoszcz;
• prof. dr hab. Antoni Ziemba - Curator of Modern Foreign Art Collection at the National Museum in Warsaw.